Sunday, November 16, 2014

Dan's picks #1 "Little Brother"

This week, among others, I read "Little Brother", a book set in the not so far off future where the government controls and monitors almost every imaginable aspect of everyday life. In this dystopian environment set in san francisco an adventure unfolds intertwining technology and danger. 
I thoroughly enjoyed this book for a couple of reasons, for starters this book was able to keep my attention from start to finish. I had a feeling that after the original excitement of the events at the beginning of the book that I would lose interest but this book kept getting more and more interesting as the plot developed. Elements that you would expect from a tech savvy society are present; hacking, coding and computer building to name a few, so much so that it wouldn't come as a surprise to me if I learned that the creation and publication of this book was directly funded by some startup trying to drum up more interest for the field of computer science. The only part that irked me was the fact that the scenes with violence are toned down in such a way that makes me think this book's author knew it needed to be pc to be let into widespread school libraries. Don't get me wrong, I'm not some sick character who obsesses about the goriest of scenes, however violence and detail of such adds a certain degree of realism. All in all I enjoyed this book and recommend reading.








Any questions, comments or book suggestions can be emailed to:
dmoll384@student.fuhsd,org  or djmoll9@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?