Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Dan's picks #2 " An innocent solider"

I didn't read this as recently as most books I will be focusing on, but this is one of my favorite books in the library shelves and I have read it multiple times open because I enjoy it so much.

This book follows a young uneducated farmhand, who is forced to join napoleon's army under a false pretense. We join him on a riveting and appalling journey to survive and maintain his humanity through the trials and tribulations of war.

The main reason I enjoy this book is the strong descriptions that it provides about the reality of war. It vividly paints the hell of becoming a soldier, the marches and the hunger of a solider to name a few. Also, I really enjoy the first person account feel of the majority of the book, allowing you to empathize with the main character and feel his journey like you are experiencing firsthand. Though hard to spot, this book has some flaws, because this book was originally in another language and translated into english there is some awkward phrasing and words. This book teaches about the evils of war, friends/ enemies and transcending social classes. Also this book gives you insight into the world and history during this time. Overall, great read and would recommend to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?